Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Delays

Joel and I wanted to drive at least fifteen hours on Monday for our ride home from Minnesota. We wanted to get home early on Tuesday so that we could relax most of the day before going back to work on Wednesday. Here is how the day went...
8:00...woke up, showered, and started our day. Dropped off a van we borrowed and picked up some stuff at my old house...finally ready to leave.

10:00...driving down 35..."oh there's a Target"...I thought..."we have to stop and register...we don't have Targets in Mississippi".
Delayed two hours (12:20pm)

On the road again...one hour later..."I'm hungry"
Delayed one hour(can't drive on an empty stomach right?!?)

Oh and Gas...delayed ten minutes.
Finally...we're fed the car is full...we are ready to go straight until we run out of gas.

One hour goes by...Joel gets pulled over for speeding...and only gets a warning...but still there was paperwork and what not
Delayed 25 minutes.

Can't remember who, but one of us had to pee...we stopped a few times. Then I decided I could drive.
Delayed 15-20 minutes.

I was driving for less than ten minutes when suddenly a hubongous rodent...my guess a raccoon...decides to end its poor little life in front of our speeding vehicle...I hit the darn thing going so fast the engine light went on. So of course we had to check it out and read the owners manual to see what to do. We also wanted to make sure there wasn't raccoon blood and guts all over the car.
Delayed 20-30 minutes.

We decide that it's okay and we should continue our trip. I was driving for about a good half hour..."finally we are getting somewhere" I thought to myself...then I look in my rear view mirror and there it was...blue and red flashing lights...oh yes...my turn to be pulled over for speeding. I was going 80 in a 60...thanks to the nice Missouri police officer I got a warning too! Woot...woot!
Delayed another 20-25 mins.

After two warnings there was no way we could even go over the speed limit...so now we were stuck at going 60mph for a really long time. At this point we realized that there was no way on God's green earth that we were going to be able to drive 15 hours that day. So we decided that I shouldn't drive anymore...I only drove for an hour and a half and I killed a poor raccoon and almost got a speeding ticket. I don't think we drove for more than two hours straight without having to stop for something.

The good news is we made it home safe from a wonderful weekend of meeting up with old friends. I am so blessed to have such great friends from Minnesota!

2 comments:

Brandi said...

I'm glad you made it home safe it was great to see you and to meet Joel! :)

Jill said...

great post.
Poor Racoon.
now you know how i feel-remember our road trip. Killa!
miss you guys.
can't wait to see you again soon.
saw pics from Shannon's wedding.
you are a Hottie.. so now you are a
"hot killa"