Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Scam or No Scam that is the Question?

Today my mom and I were leaving a thrift store. In the corner of the parking lot in a pile of leaves I noticed a small pile of cash. I quickly picked up the bills and thought to myself "it's my lucky day". I started to count the money, facing all the bills in the same direction and realizing that it was way more than I suspected. I decided to put the pile of cash in my pocket and wait til I got to the car before I started to flaunt my new found loot for anyone to see. I felt an ounce of guilt. Although I found $111, I felt sad for the person who lost the money. I called my husband to tell him the news. He said that I should go back inside and ask if anyone had lost money but that I should not disclose how much I had found. I fed the baby and went back inside about fifteen minutes after I found the money. I asked the woman at the desk if anyone had claimed that they had lost some money. She said "no". Home free! I did my good deed and now I have lots of cash! "Not so fast" I thought to myself, I was compelled to ask more people if they had lost cash. One second later, ring-ring, lo and behold it's the woman who lost the money. I talked to her and she said that she lost about $50 but wasn't sure exactly how much she had lost. Then she said for me to leave the money there and she would get it later. I thought to myself, "Really? How do you not know if you lost $111 and why wouldn't she drop what she was doing to get her cash back right away? I reluctantly left all of the money. She wasn't as thankful as I thought she would be. The rest of the day I kept obsessing about different scenarios of how I was scammed and that someone probably saw me pick up the cash but didn't know the exact amount, waited til I went back inside, and called and claimed the money to be theirs. I just have to hope that wasn't the case and that I was just dealing with a woman who wasn't as grateful as I would have liked her to be. I mean I could have pocketed $60.00 and she wouldn't have even known. It's sad when you live in a world where you think everyone is scamming someone.

No comments: