Thursday, January 22, 2009

GRRRR!

I was in the hallway walking to my last class of the day. The commotion in the classroom seemed a little louder and boisterous than normal. As I walked through the door I was reminded that there would be a sub today. I looked over to see a familiar face.

Flashback...about two months ago.

I was sitting in my normal chair that was in the sight line of my student and where the teacher normally stood. The sub seemed busy so the opportunity to introduce myself slipped away. I saw her walking my way and was ready to finally introduce myself when she sternly said "YOU KNOW YOUNG LADY THAT YOU SHOULD NOT BE SITTING THERE, YOU GET TO YOUR SEAT RIGHT NOW" One by one the students chimed in before I could get a word in edge wise..."that's not a student! That's Miss Bowlyay!" I informed her that I was the interpreter and I introduced the student who I worked with to her. She apologized (she probably felt embarrassed about how snippy she was with me).

Present day

Surely that last encounter was etched in her memory forever, I thought to myself...no need to introduce myself once again, she already knows who I am. I sat in my normal chair in the front of the classroom facing the students. I scolded the students for being so dang disrespectful to the sub. I was interpreting everything the sub said. The students asked me questions about the work and I helped them (because that is the relationship we established...I help when I can). The sub gave me the attendance roster to see if all the kids were there...I thought that she thought that the kids could not be trusted so she just had me (a staff member) do her the favor of taking attendance.

My student worked diligently the entire class period. She works at a pretty slow pace but she was doing a great job. The sub came up to me and said could you two do me a favor...could you hurry up and get the work in? You only have about a half an hour left til the bell rings, right?!?
I responded...well actually we leave twenty minutes earlier than the rest of the kids.
WELL YOU TWO GIRLS BETTER GET YOUR WORKED TURNED IN!
All the students busted out laughing. I did everything I could not to roll my eyes and in the nicest way possible explained to her that I was staff and that this had happened before (where she mistook me as a student). She said that she didn't remember. I refreshed her memory and she realized her mistake.

So much for learning from your mistakes! I guess what I don't understand is that
I was dressed in nice work clothes...I was signing, helping some students and scolding others...how is it not super obvious that I am a staff member?!? And furthermore why would a sub yell at a special ed student for not turning their work in a half hour before the class is over? The entire time the kids were rudely commenting on how ancient the sub was..saying that her teeth were going to fall out of her head...I scolded them...she ignored them...and out of all the people to get snooty with she decided to get snooty with me. FOR THE SECOND TIME...grrrrr!

1 comment:

Jill said...

If you have her for a 3rd time, make sure that you reintroduce yourself AGAIN..
and tell the regular teacher about it so maybe the reg teacher won't request that sub again.

whoa