Sunday, August 31, 2008

Natural Disasters

There is a hurricane warning for the Gulf coast. Joel has to go man the warehouse where the military personnel and families will be sheltered. I am at his house which is thirty minutes north of the gulf coast. Hopefully it won't hit here but I might go to the hot, stinky, warehouse to keep Joel-y-poo company. It's ironic that it's my first week here and this is the welcome that I get from the great state of Mississippi! I am a little freaked out but it's kind of cool to see how the communities prepare for such disasters. There were long lines at the gas station. The stores were packed with people buying food, water, wind-up radios, flashlights, grills, and whatever else they needed. My first day of work has already been postponed due to the hurricane. It will be interesting to see how things are after the hurricane hits. It's so sad to hear stories from people who lived here when Katrina hit. Living in other parts of the country I never realized the impact that Katrina had on so many lives. My supervisor was telling me about his co-workers whose homes were destroyed. They had nothing left...not even clothes. It's heartbreaking. The good news is that we won't be getting the brunt of the hurricane but the bad news is New Orleans is. Sad stuff!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey welcome to the south world!! hope the hurricane stuff isn't too horrific for ya. I know i've been through a few but it's the deadly ones that really leave their mark. good luck and i will keep praying...for the path it's heading in. I know it's out of my family's way so that helps but now I have to worry about you darnit! lol, just kidding.

Barbara said...

I can't imagine a hurricane. I do hope our country is better prepared to help this time around if needed.